Have you heard about this Avengers thing?
I’m not a big moviegoer.
It’s hard for me to sit still for 2 hours to watch anything. My mind is always racing with all the other things I should be doing. Plus movie theaters are always so cold. I have to pack a parka and snow boots anytime I do go.
But I do hear and read a lot about movies (I know, I know … it’s not the same as actually watching). And I’ve heard a lot about The Avengers this weekend. Obviously I haven’t seen it (see the previous 3 paragraphs) but I thought it’d be worth the space here to share some of what’s being said from a student ministry perspective on the interwebs. The movie is a huge blockbuster, which means it is on your students’ radar. There are some fun reviews from youth-ministry-types to read (several folks braved the midnight showings), and you won’t have to dig too deep to find ways to connect the dots between The Avengers, your students and scripture.
- The Source for Youth Ministry has a review from Jonathan McKee and Todd Pearage
- Greg Stier blogged “10 Ways The Avengers are an example for the church”
- Dare2Share’s Soul Fuel newsletter offered a discussion starter entitled “Loki vs. Jesus”
- Regular interlinc writer Paul Turner wrote “The Magic of the Midnight Movie”
- crosswalk.com had this review of the movie
How about you? Have you seen the movie yet? Did you love it? Have you found a way to use it in your ministry?
Editor’s note: Most of these links we’ve also shared on Twitter. If you’re not following us already, you should be! We find (and share) a lot of great ideas and news we find relating to student ministry and music and media.